design a user experience for social good and prepare for jobs week 1 answers
Test your knowledge on mobile-first design principles
1. Imagine you’re designing an app to help users learn how to effectively manage their money. It features short and straightforward articles, tools, and reminders. Since the app is intended for those on-the-go, which design philosophy should you consider?
3. You design a product for users based in emerging international markets and want to use the mobile-first approach. What is an advantage for using this approach?
- It allows you to start with a desktop version and then adapt it to smaller screens.
- It allows you to embellish your designs with advanced features.
- It allows you to scale back your design at a later time.
- It allows you to design for users based on the devices they use or can access most easily.
4. Fill in the blank: In graceful degradation, you design from the largest screens to the smallest screens. However, in progressive enhancement you design _____.
5. Imagine you are designing a learning tool for young readers for the local public library’s computer lab. Consider the user and identify which design philosophy works best for this tool.
Test your knowledge on designing across devices
6. Farha is creating a mobile version of a large company’s recently announced desktop application and wants to keep the brand familiar across platforms. Which of the four Cs does this adhere to?
Test your knowledge on problem statements
8. Why are problem statements used to inform designs?
- Problem statements are a succinct and clear way for designers to reference user needs.
- Problem statements help stakeholders understand the design process.
- Problem statements provide information on problems designers are having.
- Problem statements add a context to help users define their problems.
9. Which sentence is considered a problem statement?
- Eunice is a skier and beer aficionado who needs an app that keeps track of work projects because they have many new responsibilities at work.
- Ahmed is a video game concept artist and dessert lover who wants to discover professional cooking classes because he wants to learn how to make fine desserts at home.
- Anders is a pediatrician and adores their chinchilla who needs an app that provides a convenient way to order toys, food, and supplies from local and chain pet stores.
- As a new dad, I want a quick and nontoxic way to disinfect my baby’s bottles and toys.
Test your knowledge on competitive audits
10. When conducting a competitive audit, what step occurs after a designer creates a list of their product’s competitors?
11. Fill in the blank: Competitive audits help designers understand what user needs are already being met in the marketplace and how their designs can _____.
Weekly challenge 1: Design across devices
12. Fill in the blank: Designing for one screen first allows you to validate your product design, establish a clear user flow, and _____.
- connect a user’s journey with your product
- understand what needs of your users are already being met in the marketplace
- make decisions about the visual design of your product going forward
- develop the code needed for your product’s functionality