Module 1 provides an overview of project management, introducing learners to the fundamental concepts, principles, and terminology used in project management. It serves as the foundation for understanding the subsequent modules in the project management course.
Key Topics Covered:
- Understand what constitutes a project and distinguish it from routine operations.
- Explore the unique characteristics of projects, including defined objectives, finite duration, and cross-functional teams.
- Gain an understanding of project management and its role in achieving successful project outcomes.
- Recognize the benefits of using project management principles and practices.
- Explore different project management frameworks and methodologies commonly used in various industries.
- Examples include Agile, Scrum, Lean, Six Sigma, PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge), and PRINCE2 (Projects in Controlled Environments).
- Learn about the key responsibilities and roles of a project manager in leading and managing projects.
- Understand the skills, competencies, and attributes required for effective project management.
- Understand the concept of a project life cycle and its various phases, such as initiation, planning, execution, monitoring/control, and closure.
- Learn about the project management processes involved in each phase, as defined by project management standards like PMBOK.
- Explore the essential competencies and skills required for successful project management.
- Examples include leadership, communication, stakeholder management, risk management, time management, budget management, quality management, and problem-solving.
By the end of Module 1, learners will have a solid foundation in project management. They will understand the definition and characteristics of projects, the importance of project management, different frameworks and methodologies, the role of a project manager, the project life cycle, project management processes, and the essential competencies and skills needed for effective project management.